Nabopolassar: History, Accomplishments and Facts
King Nabopolassar died in 605 BCE. He was succeeded to the throne by his son and crown prince Nebuchadnezzar II. The latter was wrapping up a campaign against the Egyptians when news of Nabopolassar’s death reached him.
Nabopolassar was buried in a big and well-designed coffin that was covered with gold plates. His tomb was placed in a palace in Babylon.
Factfile: Neo-Babylonian King Nabopolassar
- It is has been stated that Nabopolassar’s origin could be traced to the southern Mesopotamian city of Uruk.
- He founded the Chaldean empire and became the first king of the Neo-Babylonian Empire
- His Chaldean dynasty lasted for many years, until it was toppled by the Persians in 539 BCE
- Nabopolassar took advantage of the political instability that had beseeched the Assyrian rulers and rose against Neo-Assyrian king Sinsharishkun in order to liberate the Babylonians
- It took him about 10 years to usurp the Neo-Assyrian empire which had ruled Babylonia for more than a century
- His name appears in a number of cuneiform inscriptions and the Bible
- Nabopolassar’s name in the Akkadian language means “O Nabu, watch over my heir” (Nabû-apla-uṣur)
- His reign was characterized by widespread building activity, including temples and ziggurats
- He made Babylon the capital of his kingdom
- Many Babylonian authors in the Hellenistic period associated Nabopolassar with the Babylonian god Marduk
- He was remembered someone who epitomizes fighting against external domination and rule
- Nabopolassar was succeeded by Nebuchadnezzar, his eldest son and crown prince
Quick Facts about Nabopolassar
Empire: Neo-Babylonian Empire
Reign: 626-605 BCE
Successor: Nebuchadnezzar II
Children: Nebuchadnezzar II, Nabu-shum-lishir and Nabu-zer-ushabshi
Epithets: šarru dannu (“mighty king”), King of Sumer and Akkad, King of the Universe
FACT CHECK: At World History Edu, we strive for utmost accuracy and objectivity. But if you come across something that doesn’t look right, p;ease don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.